So this is a bit late, and perhaps a little old-fashioned, but in the spirit of making “resolutions” at this time of year (and conjuring the ghost of Jonathan Edwards), I offer a few of the things I am resolving to do this year.
First I quote Edwards, who wrote this prelude to his famous list of resolutions:
Being sensible that I am unable to do any thing without God’s help, I do humbly entreat him, by his grace, to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ’s sake.
That said, let it hereby be known that I am…
- Resolved, to complain about nothing.
- Resolved, to speak/write/blog/tweet only what is redemptive and helpful for building others up in love.
- Resolved, to live a devout and holy life, exchanging lesser pleasures for the delights of God’s kingdom.
- Resolved, to rely daily on the power of the Spirit to enliven, guide, and empower my actions.
Like I said, they are a bit old-fashioned, perhaps, but I have spent quite a bit of time thinking about them, and my commitment to them is very sincere and heartfelt, because I am responding to what God seems to be speaking to me right now.
I just wanted to share them with you. What are you resolving to do this year?
James Paul says
Rockin' "ressies", bro.
1. Better balance of work & rest. Specifically planning 4 weeks off.
2. Consistent workout plan. 3 days/wk @ 30 min. minimum.
3. Culitvation of new relationships centered around Christ & MCs.
Yeah, I could definitely stand to work on #1 especially. Makes me think of Phil 2: “Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, 'children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.' "