I am in the midst of facilitating a team that will be starting a new church service this fall. One of the most difficult things for us has been deciding on a good name. I am humbly requesting assistance from those of you who read this blog (all 4 of you).
Some of the distinctives of this service that may help you in your brain-storming:
- Liturgically-focused worship
- Incorporating both ancient and modern practices
- Authentic, but not hyped, spirituality
- Regularity/consistency combined with creativity/spontaneity
- Valuing silence and quietness
- Valuing the community-at-worship, not just isolated individuals worshiping
- Weekly rhythm of Word and Sacrament (Scripture and Eucharist)
- Participation in mystery rather than explanation of it
- Comfortable with paradox and truth-in-tension
I’ve also been drawn to themes of light and illumination in thinking about this service, our whole lives (good and bad) being brought into the light of God’s presence, which is paradoxically both comforting and blindingly bright, warm but frightening.
So: send me some ideas! You can leave comments, or if you’d like to send me an email, use the link right under my picture on the left. The person who comes up with the best name will receive a brand new car! Just kidding.